Unity Northwest had its beginnings as a Unity study group. It began with the help of Dorothea Fowler, a member of Unity on the North Shore in Evanston, who had graduated as Licensed Unity Teacher (L.U.T.) from Unity School of Practical Christianity in 1958.
There were several members of the Evanston congregation living in Arlington Heights area who were interested in having classes. On February 25, 1959, Dorothea taught her first class at the Pioneer Field House in Arlington Heights with six people in attendance. (In February 2009 we celebrated our 50 year anniversary!)
In June, 1961, the church moved to Masonic Temple in Arlington Heights with Dorothea Fowler as the Spiritual Leader. The church became incorporated August 30, 1963 under the name of Unity Northwest with fifty-nine charter members. Meanwhile Dorothea became Reverend Dorothea when she was ordained June 16, 1964.
In October of the same year, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Goede gave 1 ¾ acres of vacant property to Unity Northwest. The church bought 1 ½ additional acres including the Goede’s home to be converted into a church for $12,000. This was at 1801 Palatine Road in Arlington Heights.
On June 17, 1985, Unity Northwest sold their property to a builder and purchased the present church at 259 East Central Road, Des Plaines, IL.
We honor and celebrate all of those who have served God and Unity Northwest.
• Rev. Dorothea Fowler: February 1959 to 1970
• Rev. Joe Jones: August 1970 to February 1987
• Benita Masterson L.U.T.: (Temporary) March 1987 to October 1987
• Rev Violet Davis: October 1987 to December 1996
• Rev Richard Billings: (Interim) January 1996 to June 1998
• Rev John Considine: July 1998 to March 2001
• Rev Adrianne Dorfman: (Interim) September 2001 to January 2002
• Rev Jonathan Hutul: (Temporary) January 2002 to May 2002
• Rev Patricia Pipia: May 2002 to June 2008
• Jo Ann Ballard L.U.T.: (Temporary) June 2008 to August 2009
• Gregory Barrette, Senior Minister: August 2009 to September 2018
• Elizabeth Mora, Senior Minister: February 2019 to Present